Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chubby Trees

Baobab trees are probably Heathers favorite trees. I don't think she has ever actually seen one in real life, but she has a big book of nature photography and she loves the Baobab tree pics.

It only grows in Africa, Australia, and Madagascar. The thing I like best about it are the numerous myths and legends about the Baobabs. My favorite is the creation story in which all of the animals were given a tree to plant. The Hyena planted his tree upside down with the roots sticking up and that's what became the Baobab.

In the middle right below is an example of Heather's Dancing trees. Although they are very festive, there's something slightly skeletal about them. Reminds me of Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead)

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hi,
We'd love to have you join our bazaar in June. Please visit www.indiebanditasbazaar.blogspot.com for details and please get back to
me if this is something you'd be interested in. Bainbridge Island is just
a short 30 minute ferry ride away from downtown Seattle and artists get
a 15 dollar discount because of the commute. That's only 35 dollars to be a part of the show. We'd love to have you.
Let me know,
Kate

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

I just purchased a bag today at the Farmer's Market and I can not rave enough about how much I already love it! I am going to be posting about my Farmer's Market trip on my blog Monday and will be linking your site.

I would love to host a giveaway of one of your bags if you ever do that sort of thing. (I can be contacted privately at sashabrodeur@comcast.net) My readers are going to flip when they see this cute bag! Thanks so much, I just adore it!

Sasha

Julia said...

My beautiful Heather-bag got a little shabby after 3 years continual use (how can I use another bag when everything fits so perfectly?) and you fixed it! Thank you, thank you! It's on its way back to Vancouver to spread the word (I get so many compliments), and a yoga mat bag is on my wish list - we'll see you at the Farmers Market on our next visit below the border.